Sunday, September 10, 2006

Project 2996

At 9:00 September 11, 2001 I was in the Employee Cafeteria were I work, getting a cup of coffee. The television in the cafeteria was set on "Today". Several people were gathered around watching and listening to Katie Couric describe a fire/smoke coming out of one of the towers of the World Trade Center.

I began watching the live feed, inching closer to the television in order to hear what was being said. I saw an airplane move into the frame, then slam into the other tower. Everyone screamed, bringing more people into the cafeteria. Katie Couric was maintaining her dialogue while trying to find out what was going on. I ran to the telephone and called my office, "They're flying planes into the World Trade Center!", I screamed, "Turn on the TV!"

I ran upstairs, back to my office, feeling like Chicken Little, telling everyone I saw that the sky was falling. I thought, "Oh my God, those people in there, what a horrible way to die!" This was before the collapse. Work was a write off that day, with native New Yorkers frantically calling home to see where their families were and the rest of us tuning radio stations on to see if we were next.

Two thing invaded my mind that day, who is attacking us and why, and the humanity. All those people had names, faces, lives, loves. So many at one time. I prayed that they could all be saved.
One man was at the World Trade Center on an out of town business trip. He did not want to go. He told his peers that he did not like going to meetings at the World Trade Center. He worked for the United States government in Virginia. He was a nice man with a wife and child.
I am honored today to remember this man and his life. His name is Mark E. Schurmeier.

Mark, I am glad to have made your acquaintance. Your death, to me is tantamount to a person dying for their country, their countrymen and the beliefs that we hold dear. To my dying day I will continue to be the outspoken person that I am because so many people have died for me to have that right. May you rest in peace.

14 comments:

Echo said...

So many unhappy endings...

Beth said...

Thank you for this. You honored Mr. Schurmeier well.

I added a link to your page on my blog, under my tribute.

Dale said...

Nice tribute to Mark and great to read your own rememberances and see how you keep memories alive Old Lady.

Coaster Punchman said...

Thanks for telling us about Mark, and for sharing your own 9/11 story. It's certainly not a day I will forget.

Barbara said...

It's interesting how those memories of where we were when we heard bad news -- JFK's assassination, 9/11 -- are so indelibly etched in our minds as though it were yesterday. Your post is uplifting while still recognizing the enormity of the tragedy we all experienced.

Mother of Invention said...

Thanks for that. Even way up north here in Canada,we will never forget the horror. The images of those planes flying into the Trade Centre made an ocular burn on the retina that will never be soothed.
I was teaching a Gr. 3 reading lesson when someone came to the door to tell me. Everyone was to tell the children nothing at this point. Recess was 20 minutes later, and those without duty gathered in the library where tv's were set up. We sat spellbound. We let the children out of school a little early and they were instructed to go directly home. Everyone was just in shock.

It is still a scary possibility.

MysteriousLady said...

A very nice tribute. Thank you for sharing Mr. Schurmeier.

Mine is up also.

MysteriousLady said...

A very nice tribute. Thank you for sharing Mr. Schurmeier.

Mine is up also.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at your post for a week or two now and have yet to comment... you have some great stories and I admire the manner in which they are expressed. I did not know anyone from that day; I would have been proud to know any of them the lost or the responders.
Even so, i have my own 9/11 story and while i did not mean for it to be humorous, i have found no way to take the huimor out. I would be pleased for you to see it.I come to you from the Grizzbabes Den.
http://www.everyman-blog.blogspot.com/
See Prelude to 9/11. steve

bitingblondewit said...

What a beautiful tribute to someone who must have been a wonderful person.

Old Lady said...

Thank you all for you comments and thanks to Project 2996 for the opportunity to put a scratch on the surface.

Ben Heller said...

A touching tribute to Mark, and you're quite right to honour a man who died for his country.

GrizzBabe said...

That was an excellent tribute!

Kilroy_60 said...

The personal narrative makes this an outstanding memorial. This is extremely important, I think, as it is the victims who should be remembered. The event has become a political tool used to validate the agendas of individuals and parties.

Thank you for a wonderful tribute. I participated in this project as well honouring a member of the New York City Police Department.